Thursday, March 21, 2013

Jellyfish/Snakes -- 3 Stories

Dream Installment #7: Jellyfish/Snakes -- 3 Stories

This dream was particularly strange because it felt so much like a series of movie shorts. Three movie shorts to be exact. In all three I was in the same one room wooden house. And I was a character from the Israeli movie "Jellyfish":
"Jellyfish" is set in Tel Aviv and the woman who I was in my dream played a caretaker. I watched that movie back-to-back with "Tiny Furniture". Both movies, particularly in conjunction in one another, left me feeling a bit existential and unsatisfied.

As this woman, in a rickety old wooden house I led three lives. In the first, the room was beautifully well-kept and decorated. It was my younger sister's wedding (not Maia, just a fictional younger sister of the dream.) I was laying on mattress on the floor with my mom, watching her twirl in a beautiful wedding gown, but all she could do was complain about all the work she had to do. My mom and I weren't having any of it.

The second life was in the same room, but the walls were unfinished wood, and the whole house felt old and flimsy. I was scrubbing a toilet in the middle of the room for a long time.

In the third life, the same room had been painted so that it was suitable as a school house. The room flooded so we all went outside.
I decided that since the room was flooded we should all just go outside and I'd teach everyone an Afro-Brazilian dance I'd learned. Then we looked down and the shallow water was filled with snakes.

I woke up with spider paranoia.

No comments:

Post a Comment